Re: [ga] Bulk WHOIS Data Issue

Saturday, Saturday, April 20, 2002, 6:21:11 PM, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:

> [all cc's trimmed-either they read the list, or we can do without them]

> One difference is that there is no easy way to opt out, opt-in is
> prohibited by ICANN, and - most crucicially in the consumer context- the
> choices are not presented at sign-in.

Opt out of the BULK whois is permitted by ICANN, Michael.

There should not be any opt out of the public whois, however.

To use the spam argument to advocate for this is useless.  Removing
public whois would not in any way dampen the spam issue in any
measurable fashion.  I get more spam to addresses not listed in whois,
and most of the spam to addresses in whois are most likely from other
sources as well.

More spammers use web robots to go out and cull addresses from places
like the archives for this mailing list and other websites.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>