[ga] Re: NC conclusions, or Phil Sheppard's conclusions?

On 2002-04-15 14:10:27 -0400, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

>Recommendation 11 - staff support.  The DNSO and the other policy
>advisory bodies should remain essentially intact and their
>effectiveness improved by the provision of full-time staff to
>support all aspects of policy making including a co-ordinating
>secretariat and staff support to policy-making task forces and
>similar groups.

I have suggested that kind of staff support myself; I do not recall
any objection against that.  As far as I recall, there were no
substantive suggestions from council members on changing the
consensus process.

>Recommendation 12 - ccTLDs. Create a new supporting organisation
>for the ccTLDs.

While I don't recall an explicit discussion of this, I was under the
impression that the concept of a ccSO is generally accepted in the
council (and beyond).

>Having listened to the teleconferences, I don't recall discussion
>on these two points, or any type of agreement on the part of the
>participants to advance such recommendations.  Thomas, what is
>your recollection?

See above.  Of course, my recollection may be faulty - I didn't
bother to check this.

In fact, it is also irrelevant whether or not explicit consensus has
been reached on these questions during the conference calls:
Philip's job is not only to summarize consensus which has been
achieved, but also to lead the conuncil in achieving consensus.  One
tool on that way is to draft possible recommendations which can then
be discussed by their merit.  The fact that there have been no
objections on the council list so far may indicate that council
members agree with the consensus formulated by Philip.

Philip should, in particular, not be attacked _because_ he is
circulating these drafts - even when you don't agree with their
content, they are an important tool in order to move discussion
forward, and focus arguments.

--
Thomas Roessler                          http://log.does-not-exist.org/