[ga] Pulling the plug on the Council

Thomas in his recent letter to the NC asks:  <<What, precisely should the
council's role be? >>

This question presumes that there will be an ongoing role for the Names
Council in ICANN.  I question that assessment.  The Lynn Plan makes it clear
that ICANN has come to the conclusion that the Council is of such limited
value that the DNSO itself should be eliminated in the "evolved" ICANN.

I share this conclusion.  Let's consider the facts... most of us recognize
that change is needed, and we have had a Council that has purportedly looked
at reform issues through the review process.  We have had a Review Working
Group, two separate Review Task Forces, and a Structure Task Force... and yet
what did the Council ultimately conclude?  Their final Review Report
indicated that no substantive reform was required, and that everything was
just wonderful within the DNSO.

This Council is a body with no desire to reform.  It is an organization that
has stonewalled every concerted effort made to enhance representation and
participation.  You will recall that the GA voted on and passed a proposal
calling for the DNSO to be converted into a bicameral body.  We took the
issue of reform and evolution seriously, and acted to make our displeasure
known.... but as was to be expected, this Council responded by steadfastly
refusing to even initiate discussions on the GA proposal.

As far as I'm concerned, the Council has had their day in the sun, and it is
now time to pull the plug on a failed experiment.  Any organization that
refuses to reform must be discarded on the trashheap of history.