[ga] Independent Review Panel?
It is well-known by now that, in the Lynn proposal, an independent
review panel is characterized as a "waste."
What do you folks think about this?
More specifically, with respect to ICANN policy-making, what
mechanisms for review of board decisions should be installed, if
any? How should the individuals serving on such a panel be
selected? By whom? What powers should they have?
Let me give some possible options:
- Review mechanisms:
* Ombudsman (or team) who may be used as an input channel to raise
public concern, combined with a wise board which takes this
kind of input into account.
* Independent review panel which can overturn or stall decisions.
(Maybe including an option for a particular, limited kind of
board action which could in turn overturn a decision by the
review panel. Require special permit from stakeholder
representatives [SO councils] to overturn decisions. ...)
* Dept. of Commerce
* European Commission.
* The Board Does Not Make Mistakes.
- How to select individuals (if internal review): Define quality
requirements, define maximum term on panel; both properties
depending on powers given. Then:
* Nomination committee which is itself selected by board or
* Direct election by stakeholders.
* Direct election by board.
* Any combination of the above.
Any thoughts? Any creative ideas?
Thomas Roessler http://log.does-not-exist.org/
This message was passed to you via the email@example.com list.
Send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to unsubscribe
("unsubscribe ga" in the body of the message).
Archives at http://www.dnso.org/archives.html