[ga] Transfers - Bankruptcy Clause

Look Ross, as you very well know, it's nonsense to say "it never came up in
discussion", it has been raised on this very list only recently.
Furthermore, you have often accommodated my suggestions in the past when it
suited, so do not start throwing GA Reps in my face as if there is some
procedural hurdle I have to pass in order for my request to be acknowledged.
You, meaning the TF in general, have a duty to establish how Registrants
feel about all aspects of the Transfer process, and to that end, I have put
the Task Force on notice that the bankruptcy clause is causing registrants,
at least the ones I know, some concern.

At the very least, this clause is fuzzy and needs clarifying. *After* some
discussion, some vague notion arose that it is for the benefit of registrars
who have large US multinational corporate clients who, they imagine, may
well run up large bills for unrelated services and therefore this clause
provides them with some means to recoup possible losses by freezing a
possible asset under circumstances of a pending bankruptcy, notwithstanding
that "pending bankruptcy" is not defined in the agreement and certainly
holds no legal meaning outside the US territory.

Whatever it's purpose, that is of absolutely no concern whatsoever to the
individual private citizen who registers a domain name, pays his
registration bill of about $10.00 a year, then wishes to Transfer
Registrars. From that class of Registrant's perspective, this clause is
onerous, outrageous and open to abuse. How would you like it if you could
not change your long distance phone carrier at home unless you provide the
losing carrier with your social security number and wait for them to confirm
that you are not pending bankruptcy?

Now, either you address this issue by adding a simple question about the
bankruptcy clause to the questionnaire, which I am quite willing to help
you, Dan, or whoever, write, or I will be the first to accuse this Task
Force of only being prepared to ask questions on issues for which it already
has the answers from registrars.

Be careful not to shoot yourself in the foot.

Joanna