[ga] Re: Request for a Working Group

Michael,

ICANN's mission is defined within its Memorandum of Understanding with the
U.S. Department of Commerce within which ICANN is required to "collaborate on
the design, development, and testing of a plan for introduction of
competition in domain name registration services, including:  development of
an accreditation procedure for registrars and procedures that subject
registrars to consistent requirements designed to promote a stable and
robustly competitive DNS, as set forth in the Statement of Policy".

That Statement of Policy, the White Paper, states:  "During the transition
the U.S. Government expects to:  recognize the role of the new corporation to
establish and implement DNS policy and to establish terms (including
licensing terms) applicable to new and existing gTLDs and registries under
which registries, registrars and gTLDs are permitted to operate".  It goes on
to state:  "As outlined in appropriate organizational documents, (Charter,
Bylaws, etc.) the new corporation should:  direct the Interim Board to
develop policies for the addition of TLDs, and establish the qualifications
for domain name registries and domain name registrars within the system".

ICANN's Registrar Accreditation Agreement is a contract that was created in
compliance with our mission directives that granted ICANN the right to
establish operational terms applicable to registrars.  That you believe that
ICANN should re-define its mission is immaterial.  Until such time as the MoU
is amended, we must live with the mission that we have been given.  That
mission allows us to establish qualifications for registrars, and I seek to
review and amend those qualifications to better protect the registrant
interest.

I'm curious, what role do you see for either registrants or the At-Large in
ICANN if their user interests are only to be satisfied within the context of
action on the part of national agencies?