Re: [ga] Motion for a vote of no confidence in the Board

David:

What you're perhaps saying is to re-institute the process by which
ICANN became "NewCorp," starting with a new list of candidates
that would not include ICANN.  I could go for that -- I've always
harbored the suspicion that the designation of ICANN was fixed
to begin with. One mechanism might would be a Letter of Inquiry
or the like to the DOC.  A proposal so to do could be added as a
part of the "nonconfidence" motion now being proposed. If that
were done, some viable candidates who would be interested
should go back and review the acceptance criteria.  (It might also
be suggested that in any contract with DOC, there should be
penalty clauses to be applied at any time the entity acting did
not abide by the other contract requirements, since ICANN has
violated possibly most of them with impunity.)

For those who do not like the notion of the nonconfidence vote,
generation of the above Letter of Inquiry proposal instead would
get the message across, while at the same time show a way to go
forward. If the DOC says that it has this contract with ICANN
(and flying off the handle here without having the contract in front
of me at the moment), a reasonable reply would be that the
contract could be declared broken for ICANN's breach thereof,
based on its performance.

I am a lawyer, but the foregoing is NOT legal advice -- it is
merely suggestions from one concerned about the future of
the Internet.

Bill Lovell