From: "Marc Schneiders" <marc@fuchsia.bijt.net>
To: "vint cerf" <vinton.g.cerf@wcom.com>
Cc: <ga@dnso.org>
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2002 7:41 PM
Subject: Re: [ga] Who wants "governance" without "representation?"

> On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, at 13:08 [=GMT-0500], vint cerf wrote:
>
> > it would seem that eric and I are both correct in the sense that
eric
> > argues that specific knowledge needs to be "represented" (as opposed
> > groups?) and I think the directors must have feel a holistic sense
of
> > responsibility to Internet as a whole.
>
> Holistic, yes, but will that be the case if the majority of the Board
is
> made up of people who make a living in names and numbers? More so,
since
> ICANN regulates a market, perhaps even a cartel. It seems a bit odd to
let
> the supplier side make the decisions alone. 'Consumers' cannot go
> elsewhere, neither for their IP addresses nor for their domain names.
Let
> the market decide doesn't work. So?
>
> --
> Marc Schneiders
>
>  >
> > vint
> >
> > At 09:37 AM 3/18/2002 -0800, Mike Roberts wrote:
> > >Eric is correct.  In Jon's initial conception in June of 1998,
there was to be a twelve person board with experts from the names,
protocols and address communities taking nine seats, and the three other
seats to be filled by individuals representing the public at large,
which is a fairly standard phenomenon on tax-exempt organization boards.

> > >But the important point is that the perspective which the Directors
bring to their work is of the character, "Based on what you know and the
facts before you, what is the best decision for all affected parts of
the Internet?"  Having representation from the experts was, in Jon's
view, a way of lowering the risks associated with broadening the
oversight of the DNS from he and his fellow engineers to a consensus
based organization representing all relevant interests.