Re: [ga] Registrar Constituency WLS Response to Verisign - A DNSO GA Ballot please...

Abel and all assembly members,

Abel Wisman wrote:

> I agree wholeheartedly Jeff, so i assume you are writing a proposal for
> the GA to comment upon ?

  Our position's form our members have been posted to the
related E-Mail addresses for the WLS and .ORG divestiture.
So I guess first I must ask you here openly Abel, which
one are you referring to, the .ORG divestiture or the WLS
proposal?  Second question I must ask to understand
the meaning of your question is, which proposal for
WLS are you referring to, yours, or Verisigns?

> abel
>
> On Sun, 2002-03-17 at 02:03, Jeff Williams wrote:
> > Geroge and all assembly members,
> >
> > George Kirikos wrote:

> > > There were already multiple opportunities for folks to show their
> > > approval or disapproval of WLS (I don't follow the .org issue much).
> > > Each time, overwhelmingly the GA was against it. I'm not sure what
> > > another vote would prove.
> >
> >   Well George it would PROVE that first the DNSO GA members
> > can show their interest and position in a official way to the WLS and
> > .ORG divestiture proposal.  Second, without an official vote on these
> > matters, the ICANN BoD can claim that the DNSO GA is a nearly
> > useless part of the DNSO which they are already trying to do now,
> > and anyone can latter claim that the DNSO GA members had no
> > official position on the WLS or the .ORG divestiture issues...
> >
> > > It might be a step in the reverse direction,
> > > too, in that a "200-20" vote is just numerical, whereas having folks
> > > provide their name along with their position, as has happened in the
> > > mailing list, is more forceful. Anonymous voting in the age of the
> > > internet would be very difficult (one side could easily sign up a few
> > > hundred or thousand "supporters" to manipulate a vote where the voters
> > > are anonymous). The way the RC did it, with registrars voting in
> > > public, is best, as it's less open to manipulation (similar to how
> > > voice votes were held in ancient Greece).
> > >
> > > WLS was mentioned on Slashdot, too, where it was derided.
> > >
> > > http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/01/14/0649205&mode=thread
> > >
> > > It's unclear that Verisign respects democratic institutions, in any
> > > event. At some point (maybe we're well past that already), we might
> > > need a "Magna Carta" to limit the power of this monarchy.
> > >
> > > Sincerely,
> > >
> > > George Kirikos
> > > http://www.kirikos.com/

> > > Yahoo! Sports - live college hoops coverage
> > > http://sports.yahoo.com/
> >
> > Regards,
> > --
> > Jeffrey A. Williams
> > Spokesman for INEGroup - (Over 121k members/stakeholdes strong!)
> > CEO/DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.
> > Information Network Eng. Group. INEG. INC.
> > E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
> > Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827
> > Address: 5 East Kirkwood Blvd. Grapevine Texas 75208
> >

> > --
> > This message was passed to you via the ga-full@dnso.org list.
> Abel S.H. Wisman
>
> Scottish Provident House