Re[2]: [ga] Manipulating the GA's voting rights... a new low

Wednesday, Wednesday, March 06, 2002, 12:48:11 PM, Joop Teernstra wrote:

> At 18:44 6/03/02 +0100, Jefsey Morfin wrote:
>>
>>This wording does not prevent the GA to vote in using other solutions than
>>the DNSO Secretariat. Would the NC and the BoD consider the results of
>>such votes? The Secretariat owns the voting list (e-mails). Could we
>>establish a polling committee having access to the list and establishing
>>an acceptable authentification system?

> Somebody would still have to actually run it and it would still have a cost.
> TANSTAAFL.

Bullocks.  A properly setup polling system would allow the GA chair to
manage the creation of votes, and allow the existing watchdog
committee to supervise the results without any hassle, and still
provide the same accountability to the GA members that the current
system provides.

As for cost, if commercial hosting were needed, provided the software
continued to be based on open source products and not expensive
proprietary environments that require large per server licensing
fees, the hosting for such a beast would be under $15/mo.  And with
all the resources available here I'm sure getting that donated would
be no problem.  The host cannot manipulate the outcome if the system
is developed along the same lines as the existing system.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>

"There is no better way to exercise the imagination than the study of
the law. No artist ever interpreted nature as freely as a lawyer
interprets the truth."
-- Jean Giradoux