Re: [ga] Is this all just a cunning plan?

Dave and all assembly members,

  ALthough I respect this point of vies that you are suggesting,
I think it is obvious that Stuart Lynn/Louis Touton/Joe Simms
are quite serious about this most recent proposal.  Otherwise
I don't think they would be touting it to the EU, at that Aspen
"Club" retreat and also to some congressmen/women...

DPF wrote:

> I may be overly cynical and may have spent too many years in politics
> but few other people have suggested this so I might as well.
>
> My impression of the Lynn plan is that it may in fact be merely a red
> herring.  It is one of the oldest political tricks in the world to
> propose something so extreme and controversial that when you finally
> withdraw it the masses are so happy they didn't get Proposal A they
> don't complain so much about Proposal B.
>
> Lets face it up until a few days ago the debate was mainly on 6 vs 9
> at large board spots and the size of the fee.  Now the debate has been
> shifted to should there be any at large at all and I will not be
> surprised if in six months we learn "Okay you do get to have an at
> large with six members" - you should be grateful for small mercies.
>
> It will be fascinating to observe what happens to the original 4 board
> members who terms expire this year when no replacements can probably
> now be elected on in time.
>
> In another post I plan to examine the pros and cons of the Lynn
> proposal in detail but for now I am sceptical that it is a plan
> proposed with any real intent to have it succeed.
>
> One of the main reasons I am thinking this is because effectively the
> Lynn proposal would make ICANN a variant of a UN quango.  Getting
> governments to agree on this sort of thing (and I mean actual Govts
> not the minor bureaucrats who often attend GAC) is something which
> takes years not months.  The proposal would beyond any doubt attract
> massive congressional scrutiny, almost universal opposition from media
> and NGOs let alone individuals so unless Lynn is very very naive I
> suspect he knows the proposal is not a realistic option.  Hence I
> suspect it is an attempt to move the debate parameters.
>
> Am I the only one this suspicious?
>
> DPF
> --
> david@farrar.com
> ICQ 29964527

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827