Re: [ga] Unresponsive registrars

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Joop Teernstra wrote:

> At 10:39 26/02/02 -0800, George Kirikos wrote:
>

> >I wonder if there's been any discussion of appointing an Ombudsperson
> >to be able to mediate those kinds of disputes? Although, it would
> >require registrars to give up a little power, it might improve matters.
>
> This is an idea that we are exploring in NZ as well. In order to make an
> Ombudsman effective, it has to be done on a national jurisdictional level,
> supported by legislation.

hm.... let's see now....

the registrar is beholden to the registry, while the registry is beholden
to the TLD Holder to engage in a manner consistent with the TLD Holder's
interests - otherwise, the TLD Holder assigns someone else to make the
money and fires the registry.

Yes... That is the correct analogy.

Oopsie! You mean ICANN's got it all wrong?

You mean ICANN thinks it is their place to dictate to the TLD Holders and
empower the Registries and registrars to determine the TLD Holder's
policies?

No wonder ICANN died.

> --Joop

Bradley D. Thornton