[ga] Minutes of Registrars' Recent Meeting

Hello,

Their latest minutes have been posted at:

http://www.icann-registrars.org/secretary.htm

It was interesting seeing the lack of support for WLS. I wonder what's
up at Verisign, as they've been fairly quiet of late. They've not even
posted the HTML version of their documents, yet. One can only hope that
they've seen the light and have abandoned the proposal. I'm not sure a
a DNSO GA response is even necessary, since if VRSN is prepared to
ignore the registrars wishes, they'll ignore everyone else too (a short
memo against it, assuming that is the consensus, might be sufficient).

What was particularly humourous in the minutes was the vote held about
having increased Registrar representation on ICANN. Here's a shocker:

"Straw poll favoured increased Board representation for registrars 22
for, nil against"

They do have a good point, based on their contribution to revenues.
Although, by the same logic, corporations should be electing
representatives to governments, as they pay corporate income tax. I'd
be surprised to see any group argue that they have too much influence,
and vote to reduce their own power/representation...

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/