Re[2]: [ga] GA position on the Structure TF report

Well said, Joop.  I agree completely with your comments here.

Saturday, Saturday, February 16, 2002, 2:41:00 AM, Joop Teernstra wrote:

> At 22:31 16/02/02 +1300, DPF wrote:

>>To some degree I see it as whether it is better to have 100% of the
>>votes of an SO which will probably be ignored 99% of the time or to
>>have 13% of the vote of an SO which gets listened to say half the
>>time.
>>
>>Note that regardless of which model is adopted the ALSO would still
>>appoint their Board members directly.
>>
>>As I said at the beginning feedback is welcome on the options.

> At the moment *all* options look bleak.

> The only way Individual DN holders will get listened to is by being able to
> give serious input in the DNSO process.
> That is where problems come up, are debated and prepared for a policy
> decision by the Board.

> This is why the IPC constituency is so dead set against having an IC (or an
> IDNHC)   in the DNSO.
> Even *if* the Individuals finally would get their DNSO constituency, they
> have to pay the constituency fee and will still have only 3 votes. The
> balance will still be in favour of the IP and supply-side.

> The At Large is a chimera. There will be regional councils that will
> somehow , at some time in the future, cough up a director.
> Directors will represent regional interests, whatever they are, not global
> Individual DN holders' interests. At the least , they will be elected on
> the basis of a regional division, not an interest division.
> Once seated, a  director  is supposed to look after the interests of the
> *Corporation* , which may restrict him looking after Individual Domain Name
> Holders.

>    This director, unless he also happens to work for a lobbying firm or a
> big company, will be underfunded, possibly ignorant and likely  ignored,
> and unable to influence his fellow Board members during the few yearly
> meetings that the Board has.

> By the time issues come to a vote at Board level, decisions will have been
> made (by the staff).
> AtLarge directors will simply and brutally be outvoted.

> --Joop

Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>
--

"There is no better way to exercise the imagination than the study of
the law. No artist ever interpreted nature as freely as a lawyer