Re: [ga] UPDATE: Berkman Center will not webcast ICANN's Accra meetings

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 19:11:57 -0500, "Ben Edelman"
<edelman@law.harvard.edu> wrote:

>David wrote:
>
>> Are you able to be more explicit about the reasons for this Ben?
>
>I can't say for sure why ICANN declined the Berkman Center's proposal --
>indeed, their staff didn't give me a reason when notifying me that they had
>declined the Berkman Center's Accra meeting tech proposal.

Ta - this in itself answered most of my question.  I was not sure if
Berkman did not want to do it anymore or ICANN decided not to use
Berkman.

>But certainly
>Berkman Center staff and ICANN staff have, over the past three years and
>past twelve meetings, at times had different ideas about the appropriate and
>optimal scope, technical sophistication, and robustness (backup systems,
>etc.) of meeting webcasts, as well as the associated costs that such
>facilities entail.  I actually haven't had the sort of back-and-forth
>negotiation with ICANN that would lead me to well understand their
>motivations and concerns here, but my sense is that they thought they could
>get a better service -- perhaps one that they perceive to better match their
>needs, or that they find to feature a lower total cost -- elsewhere.

It will be interesting to see what is provided.

>> Is
>> this just a one off absence due to cost or a permanent disengagement?
>
>My understanding is that ICANN may have tentatively made arrangements with
>another organization to offer webcast services at Accra.  I wouldn't want to
>presuppose how that that relationship will develop, but it seems to me
>likely that if the new organization proves satisfactory in that context,
>ICANN will stick with them going forward.

Well in either case thanks to Berkman and especially yourself and
Rebecca for your services which have been appreciated.

DPF
--
david@farrar.com
ICQ 29964527