[ga] RE: Questions from OPENSRS RSPs Group regarding the WLS proposal

Hi again,

--- "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@verisign.com> wrote:
> Thanks George.

I forgot to ask earlier, is there an ASCII text or HTML version of the
document that can be posted? It's hard (impossible?) to cut/paste from
the PDFs.

By the way, I believe the phase-in procedure with regards to the odd
position of names that already have SnapBacks on them is going to ripe
for abuse, so Verisign might want to rethink that. In particular,
here's what could happen:

1) I own a SnapBack on xyz.com currently, and so in theory no one can
buy a WLS on it.

2) In the middle of the night, when no one is watching, I remove the
SnapBack (using the 'exchange' feature, to switch it to a different
name, or just removing it entirely), and instantaneously (using
scripts, or whatever) register the WLS on the same name. From what I
can tell, the WLS would be properly processed, thus allowing a "secret"
grandfathering of existing names to those "in the know".

Thus, I think any transition period/landrush/sunrise really needs to be
re-thought. {I'll reserve further comments until I've read things in
more detail]

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/