Re[2]: [ga] Fw: Discussion Paper: Redemption Grace Periods for Deleted Names

Thursday, Thursday, February 14, 2002, 10:56:46 PM, Harold Whiting wrote:

> At 10:13 PM 2/14/2002 -0800, William X Walsh wrote:
>>
>>I don't have a real problem with this, actually.  My only comment is
>>that it should be stated that the registrar can ONLY redeem the
>>registration for the original registrant, and not for any other
>>customer or prospective customer of the registrar.  I know this may be
>>implied, but it should be specific in this restriction.

> Actually, I have quite a few concerns about this.
> Isn't this what the 45 day "Grace Period" after the renewal date is for?

That is optional per registrar.  There are registrars who delete names
much sooner after expiration.

> Don't most registrars pull the name from resolving shortly after the
> expiration date anyway if the renewal fees are unpaid?

No, not all of them do.

> What this effectively does is give VGRS COMPLETE control over deletions
> from ALL registrars.

No more so than now, really, except instead of 5 days, they wait 45.

This is nothing but a change from 5 to 45.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>

"There is no better way to exercise the imagination than the study of
the law. No artist ever interpreted nature as freely as a lawyer
interprets the truth."
-- Jean Giradoux