Re: [ga] Compiled WLS Questions

Alex and all Assembly members,

  Thank you for consolidating the two different set of questions
here Alex.  Well done!  Indeed I support that these questions should
be answer directly and unambiguously by whomever at Verisign.

  Perhaps a resolution Ballot for the GA members to officially
vote on these questions be provided for the record?

Alexander Svensson wrote:

> [The list has been sent to VeriSign Global Registry Services]
>
> Compilation of questions from the DNSO General Assembly
> about the proposed Waiting List Service for domain names
>
> Registry load issues
>
> 1. CIRA, the registry for dot-ca, was able to manage 100-times
>     scalability when it released expired names recently for re-registration
>     (see http://www.cira.ca/news-releases/63.html ). Given that this
>     non-profit registry did not require a wait-list system, nor a
>     surcharge, what are the technical flaws in Verisign systems that
>     prevent a similar system as CIRA?
>
> 2. Why has Verisign refused to implement various technical fixes to
>     reduce registry load issues, including "rate-limiting" technology and
>     "extended response codes"?
>
> 3. When does VGRS plan to solve her problems; the increased load on VGRS
>     systems, as mentioned in Montevideo, Uraguay in September 2001.
>
> 4. a) Verisign has highlighted that there are 80-100 million domain
>     "checks" per day. What is the number of checks per day on average,
>     broken down by each of the accredited registrars?
>     b) Which of the above registrars are performing these checks on
>     behalf of SnapNames?
>
> Legal issues
>
> 5. Can Verisign (registry) assure the community that registrars
>     offering this service on a world-wide basis are not going to face
>     legal problems?  In an earlier message (*) sent to the registrars'
>     list, Jim Archer raises some questions on this, arguing that
>     offering WLS subscriptions may be considered commodity trading.  If
>     such problems exist even in some (possibly obscure) jurisdictions,
>     this would introduce an unfair national bias into the system.
>     (*) <http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/registrars/Arc01/msg01852.html>
>
> 6. If the WLS is deemed to be illegal (due to anti-trust law, and/or
>     relevant Commodity Futures law), will Verisign/ICANN indemnify affected
>     resellers, registrants and other market participants from all
>     liability, legal costs, and implementation costs associated with the
>     1-year test?
>
> 7. On what (contractual) grounds does VGRS propose the WLS, instead of
>     letting this part of the markt be a free operating system?
>     Where does VGRS base the sale of WLS upon, considering that it is her
>     contractual duty to return domains to the pool after 45 days, in which
> case
>     there would be nothing to sell
>
> 8. When does VGRS propose to settle with ICANN on a delete agreement pursuant
>     to 3.7.5 of the Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA).
>
> 9. Does this WLS not constitute a seperate contract between ICANN and VGRS
>     and as such, should an open "bid" period to allow other to "bid" for a
>     likewise system not be entertained?
>
> Prices, payment and costs
>
> 10.a) What is Verisign's proposed wholesale price for a variant of WLS
>     with zero (0) exchanges?
>     b) What are Verisign's proposed wholesale prices for a variant of
> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827