Re: [ga] PLEASE SIGN - GA comments on dot-org

Thomas and all assembly members,

  Put me down as NOT in support for this draft of .ORG.

  INEGroup members are currently still in the process of voting
on it, so I cannot at present report where they stand on this
Draft.

Thomas Roessler wrote:

> This is to remind you that I am collecting signatures in favor (or
> opposition) of the GA members' comments on dot-org drafted and
> posted by Alexander on Sunday.
> <http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc09/msg00765.html>
>
> Since these comments are the closest approximation of an official GA
> minority opinion we can produce within the short time frame, I'd
> like to urge you to send me your notes in favor or opposition of
> these comments until Friday 15:00 CET, off-list.  Please mention the
> type of your GA membership (GA subscriber, GA voting registry
> member, DNSO constituency member [which constintuency?]).
>
> For your convenience, I'm reproducing the text below.

> Proposal for GA members' comments on dot-org:
>
> The undersigned members of the DNSO General Assembly
>
>  1. endorse the criteria and guidelines for applicants for operation
>     of the .org registry contained in the Final Report of the .org
>     Task Force
>     (http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/council/Arc09/msg00031.html)
>
>  2. support the unrestricted character of .ORG, both for new and old
>     registrants, and the absence of new eviction mechanisms for
>     domain name holders.
>
>  3. emphasize the need for a complete divestiture of the .org TLD and
>     urge the DNSO Names Council and the ICANN Board to ensure that
>     the divestiture increases competition. The applicant
>     organizations must submit proposals which are consistent with the
>     goal of divestiture.
>
>  4. are concerned about the possibility of a price raise in the .org
>     registration fee and emphasize that the registry fee should be
>     "as low as feasible consistent with the maintenance of good
>     quality service" (TF Final Report, 4). The ICANN Board's decision
>     about the applicant organization should not be deflected by
>     excessive attention to proposals for spending a possible surplus.
>
>  5. encourage applicant organizations to propose ways of ensuring
>     that the "differentiation of the domain", which is "a key
>     objective in the transition" (TF Final Report, 2e), is also
>     communicated to dispute resolution providers and panelists. A
>     simplistic, undifferentiated approach to domain disputes in the
>     .org TLD puts the potential benefits at risk.
>
>  6. urge applicant organizations to consider incentives and
>     deterrents to ensure that all registrars market .org domains in a
>     way which does not run counter to the goal of differentiation
>     enabling end-user choice.
>
>  7. thank the GA representative on the .org Task Force, Marc
>     Schneiders, for his work.
>

> --
> Thomas Roessler                        http://log.does-not-exist.org/

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827