Re: [ga] WLS, GA, ALSO and ICANN

Yes, Jefsey.  I think you've got it wrong.

The WLS proposal, and the various press releases by VeriSign and Snap
which indicated that it was essentially a "done deal," flew in the
face of ICANN's very existence, IMO.

It was a controversial and topical matter of discussion and debate on
this list, and others, and it cut across most all boundaries --
including those of the Registrants, Registrars and other Stakeholders.

For a variety of reasons, there was a general concern which was
vocalized on this, and other, lists by many. Although you may not have
a particular interest in the subject matter, it was, never-the-less,
important to many other participants. Isn't it the purpose of this
list to discuss and debate issues which the participants find
important and topical? If so, then I think you are reading more into
it (i.e. the items enumerated in your post with respect to the GA
list) than actually and realistically exist.

Tuesday, January 22, 2002, 6:19:46 AM, Jefsey Morfin <jefsey@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
JM> I gave up reading the GA for a while. Reading Thomas' report and some
JM> different mails the feeling I have (please correct me if I am wrong) is a
JM> total change of nature of the ICANN into something new.

JM> 1. the GA seems to be mostly discussing registrars industry.
JM> 2. the discussion over the WLS is purely registrar/reseller oriented, no
JM> one questioning first the legality of the WLS proposition, and its legal
JM> consequences and consistency.
JM> 3. the positions over the ALSO are oriented towards stakeholders concerns
JM> not towards ICANN long term stability interests. Also it is purely naming
JM> problems oriented. It totally forgets the IANA mission.

JM> I only hope the BoD either disregards all this or acknowledges the ICANN is
JM> now the official Verisign reseller association and transfers the IANA
JM> functions to the TLDA, the ITU/T, EDIFACT, the Pope, the RedCross or the
JM> Olympic Committee: i.e. consistent, international, equal to all, cheap
JM> management, corruption proof structures able to host a two persons secretariat.

JM> Jefsey

JM> --
JM> This message was passed to you via the ga@dnso.org list.

----
Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
donbrown_l@inetconcepts.net         http://www.inetconcepts.net
PGP Key ID: 04C99A55              (972) 788-2364  Fax: (972) 788-5049
Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate
----