Re: Re[2]: [ga] Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 15:53:53 -0500

Hello,

--- Don Brown <donbrown_l@inetconcepts.net> wrote:
> Thanks, Elliot.  I, too, need to clarify a point or two, plus
> elaborate a bit.
>
> 1. With regard to the WLS proposal, we do agree that there is no
> compellingly urgent reason to implement it, the counter-proposal or

Agreed. If a more firm statement can be made by the registrars and
Verisign, we can stop beating this dead horse called "WLS" (and its
alternatives), and move onto other issues. Sometimes when I read
certain posts, it's as though I'm watching "Friday the 13th", and Jason
keeps coming back over and over again for sequels...

> 4. We disagree when it comes to pricing, marketing and business plans
> relative to the participants in the after-market. Basically, I am
> against anything that thwarts open competition.
>
> In my view, the plans presented generally tend to move this market
> segment into a controlled structure, under the auspices of only the
> Registry, the Registrars or both of them. Further, these plans tend
> not only thwart healthy competition but also to eliminate some of the
> current competitors from this market segment.

I agree completely. This is the point I keep repeating over and over
again, and it's nice to see it expressed by others so eloquently. The
temptation is always going to be there for the registry and/or the
registrars to want to put their hand in the cookie jar, to charge
whatever the market can bear on each individual name. This should be
resisted, by having strong gatekeepers to protect "the cookie".

> I strongly oppose any scheme to essentially monopolize any segment of
> the name space and any scheme which otherwise thwarts competition.
> Thus, I think it would be much better, instead, for the Registry and
> the Registrars to focus on the efficient delivery of domain names
> including efficiently coping with the demand, regardless of how the
> demand may evolve. Moreover, it is the consumers who will ultimately
> decide upon the best business model, provided, that is, that
> misdirected, greed does not replace the consumer's right to make that
> choice.

Ditto.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos