Re: [ga] RE: [icann-delete] Proposal: Registry Re-circulation System

WXW and all assembly members,

  Perhaps WXW, you didn't read Ron's post very closely.  It would
appear from your comments below in part anyway that you didn't.
For instance Ron made it pretty clear that most of snapnames
customers are "Mainstream Users" From below in Rons comments:
"Of our 74,000 active customers, by far and away the majority
are mainstream users." and "I'd say about half our business
 today is from speculators."  Hence WXW, trying to make the case
that Ron's creditability is questionable given his comments and statements
is a bit of a stretch at best.

William X Walsh wrote:

> Well Ron, are you going to accuse me of being a speculator and thus
> biased in sharing Harold's opinion 100%?
>
> Do yourself and your credibility a favor and do be so casual about
> dismissing concerns in this fashion.  It really does not make your
> comments appear to be any more valid.
>
> Not to mention that the VAST majority of your company's income is
> almost certainly from domain speculators anyway.
>
> Talk about the Pot calling the Kettle black.
>
> Tuesday, Tuesday, January 08, 2002, 6:06:53 PM, Ron Wiener wrote:
>
> > Harold,
>
> > Speaking for myself, I appreciate knowing your position on this issue --
> > which is to maintain the status quo, as it favors your current methods --
> > even if your input here and in other forums is caustic.  Though I don't
> > recall the RC inviting professional speculators to this icann-delete
> > listserv, if that is the intent, I don't object but would ask that others be
> > invited in order to provide balanced perspectives.
>
> > Many speculators are in favor of the WLS, but are unwilling to post their
> > sentiments publicly because, here and in other private forums (under your
> > "cartoonz" screen alias, for example) you are infamous for
> > less-than-professional attacks on such postings, and you have to do business
> > with one another.  I understand that.  However, we've been bcc'd on
> > supportive e-mails sent to ICANN and ICANN constituents over the past few
> > days, and of course many of our own customers have contacted us to express
> > their support and hope that the WLS is approved as proposed.   Though it's
> > unfortunate that some are not yet comfortable voicing their support, we have
> > learned that MANY, on all sides of the industry, view 100% efficacy as being
> > far more important than the price of the subscription, since their upside is
> > so significant.
>
> > I can't directly answer your question of how many of our customers are
> > speculators because it is difficult to determine who they are.  Yes, there
> > are some that are quickly identifiable by the number of names they backorder
> > in a single transaction, but others (large companies, law firms, etc.) do
> > this as well.  If you forced me to guess, I'd say about half our business
> > today is from speculators.  For our competitors who cater specifically to
> > this customer segment, of course the percentage is typically 100%.  In terms
> > of our daily site traffic, approximately 95% is generated by registrars
> > sending through mainstream customers.   Of our 74,000 active customers, by
> > far and away the majority are mainstream users.
>
> > To be clear, the WLS deals with names that have already been dropped by
> > their current registrants, and there is NOTHING inherent within the WLS
> > system or proposal that in any way interacts with an existing registrant and
> > somehow encourages abandonment of domain names.  Your allegations on this
> > point are moot.

> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827