[ga] Re: [GTLD Registries List] I was asked to substantiate my serious concerns about the Afilias registry - look at this for a start

Richard and all assembly members,

  Richard asks on the bottom of this informational post, "Is this
acceptable conduct?"
It would be interesting to get some feedback from the DNSO GA members
on this...  I know our [INEGroup] members position is, NO this is
not acceptable conduct!  In fact it is not legal conduct.  However the
ICANN BoD and staff have a oversight responsibility under the MoU
and White paper contractual obligation to the DOC/NTIA and the
stakeholders.
Yet it seems that this sort of conduct by one of the ICANN BOD and
staff's
"Selections" for a registry (.INFO) will not be appropriately dealt
with...

What say you my fellow GA members?

Richard Henderson wrote:

>  In the Afilias Press Release of August 15th, you can read:
>
> QUOTE: Hal Lubsen, Afilias' CEO, said, "It is unfortunate that some
> individuals have misused the Sunrise period in an attempt to abuse the
> process."
>
> Four days later, Hal Lubsen's company received payment in the region
> of $13000 to support the application of supposedly Trademarked names
> with ZERO data - such as:
>
> Domain ID:  D70898-LRMS
> Domain Name:  BURUNDI.INFO
> Created On:  20-Aug-2001 15:22:20 UTC
> Expiration Date:  20-Aug-2006 15:22:20 UTC
> Trademark Name:  none
> Trademark Date:  2001-08-17
> Trademark Country:  none
> Trademark Number:  none
> Sponsoring Registrar:  Domain Bank, Inc. (R107-LRMS
>
> *****
>
> Domain ID:  D70909-LRMS
> Domain Name:  ESTONIA.INFO
> Created On:  20-Aug-2001 15:22:37 UTC
> Expiration Date:  20-Aug-2006 15:22:37 UTC
> Trademark Name:  none
> Trademark Date:  2001-08-17
> Trademark Country:  none
> Trademark Number:  none
> Sponsoring Registrar:  Domain Bank, Inc. (R107-LRMS)
>
> *****
>
> Domain ID:  D70901-LRMS
> Domain Name:  CHAD.INFO
> Created On:  20-Aug-2001 15:22:23 UTC
> Expiration Date:  20-Aug-2006 15:22:23 UTC
> Trademark Name:  none
> Trademark Date:  2001-08-17
> Trademark Country:  none
> Trademark Number:  none
> Sponsoring Registrar:  Domain Bank, Inc. (R107-LRMS)
>
> *****
>
> ...not to mention 88 others!
>
> Not only was there NO data, but every single Trademark date was
> outside the eligible deadline.
>
> And yet Hal Lubsen's company Domain Bank were willing to take around
> $13000 to submit these names and (in his own words) "abuse the
> process".
>
> Furthermore, in his capacity as CEO of Afilias, he presided over the
> registering of these totally ineligible applications (which his own
> company had profited from).
>
> And furthermore still, when William Lorenz decided that it was wrong
> to defraud the internet community, and requested 23 times (copies of
> all these requests available) to have the names immediately deleted so
> that they would be available at Landrush, his request was declined.
>
> To repeat the original quote from the Afilias Press Release:
>
> QUOTE: Hal Lubsen, Afilias' CEO, said, "It is unfortunate that some
> individuals have misused the Sunrise period in an attempt to abuse the
> process."
>
> Is this acceptable conduct?

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827