[ga] Re: [GTLD Registries List] Serious questions requiring openness and transparency

Richard and all,

  It seems to me that this is something that DOC/NTIA should be
addressing as well as the ICANN Staff.  However given the ICANN
staff's reluctance to do it's oversight duty/responsibility, these
sorts of problems will arise, and likely do so more frequently.

Richard Henderson wrote:

>    My second question for this list to consider is this: Hal Lubsen is
> subscribed to this list and is CEO of Afilias. Hal Lubsen has never
> replied to any e-mail I have sent him. In the interests of "openness
> and transparency" (which I believe this list is meant to be about)
> please, Hal, could you explain why your company DomainBank accepted
> payment in the region of $13000 to submit the 93 phoney applications
> of William Lorenz, all of which had "NONE" typed in the place of any
> eligible data for all the Trademark details for .info Sunrise domains?
>
> Having charged this man around $13000 to help him abuse the Afilias
> Sunrise rules, Hal Lubsen and his colleagues at Afilias then
> registered the names to Lorenz, with the result that many people all
> over the world lost pre-registration fees and their fair chance to
> apply for the names at Landrush.
>
> Subsequent to this money which DomainBank earned in the process of
> helping Lorenz abuse Afilias's system, Lorenz applied 23 times for
> these names to be deleted, so they could be available at the Landrush,
> but his requests were disregarded.
>
> Now my question (or set of questions) is NOT intended to be personal
> to Hal Lubsen, nor is this e-mail a personal attack on Hal. It is
> directed at the processes that were set up, the failure of either the
> registry or the registrars to adequately check data and protect the
> interests of customers, and the issue of conflicting interests where
> individuals are working both for a registry AND a registrar:
>
> Q: Since DomainBank charged Lorenz for an application which should
> have been checked (at least its facial eligibility should have been
> checked) and which could never be fulfilled, does DomainBank intend to
> refund Lorenz (particularly as he specifically asked for his
> registrations to be deleted)?
>
> Q: Did the failure of registrars like DomainBank to check (as a
> minimum) the facial eligibility of applications result in financial
> loss for other customers of registrars around the world?
>
> Q: Does Mr Lubsen and his company accept that over half the 10000
> Sunrise names that need challenging were IN FACT submitted by
> Registrar companies either represented on the Afilias Board (as in the
> case of Speednames and their 4891 names submitted for Konrad
> Plankenstein) or executives of Afilias (as in Mr Lubsen's case)? In
> other words, Afilias has cried long and loud about the terrible
> Sunrise fraudsters, but is it not the case that half the frauds were
> the result of these Afilias-linked companies taking in excess of
> $500,000 to abise their own system, at massive inconvenience and loss
> to the internet public and honest customers who lost out all over the
> world?
>
> Q: Precisely why did Afilias not implement the workable Domebase
> solution, proposed by Robert Connor, which would have safeguarded the
> interests of genuine TM holders AND the honest Landrush applicants?
> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827