Re: [ga] Question for Chair Candidates

Well I alway considered it a personal limit, not something imposed like a
traffic sign and sanctionable.

And:

* since this is a mailing list and
* since automatically imosing such a posting limit per e-mail address would be
childs play and
* since anyone getting around it by posting via multiple e-mail address would be
either readily
           identifiable and easily sanctioned or
           posting so differently that if we cant tell its someone different we
dont care

I came to the personal conclusion that the 'intent' of this particular rule was
self-control.  So I followed it. And did not bother raising the issue when I
suspected it wasnt being followed.  I figured either the extra post were
extremely relevant and worthy of existence, or people would complain about it.
I think implementing fixed rules as a clerical or admin function, and exercising
judgement and deciding when to enforce a rule and when to make an exception...to
be a management decision.    What was happening here? I did not know. And since
my personal filters work quite well it failed to be an issue with me.

DPF wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 09:19:12 +0100, "Roberto Gaetano"
> <roberto_gaetano@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >David wrote:
> >>
> >>We currently have no limit in force on the number of posts per person
> >>that can be made a day.The list rules (online at
> >>http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/2000.GA-ga-rules-v0.4.html) allow for
> >>the Chair or monitors to place a limit on.
> >
> >I know I have been distracted by other business lately, and I apologize for
> >it, but can somebody refresh my memory and point out when the posting limit
> >of 5 post per day per person has been lifted?
>
> It hasn't been formally.  But the limit is imposed basically at the
> discretion of the Chair and when the Chair is not enforcing the limit
> one can conclude that it has been de facto lifted, even without an
> explicit statement to that effect.
>
> It would be nice if people regarded it as still in force but a fair
> number of people are exceeding it.
>
> DPF
> --
> david@farrar.com