Re: [ga] Final Review Task Force Report

On 3 Dec 2001, at 11:35, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> The final report of the Review Task Force has been posted with new
> amendments by Phil Sheppard which grant even more powers to Council Task
> Forces at the expense of Working Groups:
> http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/council/Arc06/msg00464.html
>
> This is an ongoing attack against this Assembly's full participation in the
> DNSO process.  As usual, the positions of both the GA and the NCDNHC were
> cited and then disregarded.
>
> At this time, I would advocate having the GA withdraw from all Council
> activities until the working group process is respected.  I request the
> views of the membership.

Withdrawal is a mistake, Danny.  Organization is key.  Drafting a
resolution with this complaint and sending it Congress - even though
they are preoccupied with the shooting war - is important.  The
Commerce Committe (House especially) have not totally lost sight of
the Internet and ICANN.  Also, drafting a report to DoC with copies to
Congress, Secretary of Commerce, etc. would be useful.  It must be
accurate and state clearly the dangers of the GA being totally ignored,
the imbalance of power, the lack of input from the greater community
being denied, etc.  It would not hurt for Kristy and any others privvy to
the type of information she imparted to the group to include that
information in correspondence from the GA to the relevant parties I
mentioned above.

Simply spouting on the list will get us nowhere.   However, a concerted
effort to produce a paper that completely and consisely states our
position and the detrimental results of ICANN actively suppressing or
ignoring public input may have some effect - on the record and publicly.

Leah