Re: [ga] Watch Dog Committee

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001 21:16:36 +1300, David Farrar wrote:
> Can you post who the current members are so we can suggest additional
> ones to complement them.

Hi Kristy & David

The members to the Watchdog Committee in 2002 election are:
        o Roberto Gaetano
        o Harald Alvestrand
        o Kent Crispin
        o Dany Vandromme
        o Alexander Svensson
        o Izumi Aizu

Roberto, Harald, Kent, Dany, Alexander, and Izumi have been on this committee
for a long time.  I am not sure whether any of them play another role of some
sort in ICANN/DNSO operations.

As usual these decisions are made for us.  I am concerned that these decisions
are made for and on our behalf by Philip Sheppard and Elizabeth Porteneuve
(who is acting under his instructions).  Of course, these processes must be
more partipative by the GA membership.

It is up to us, the voters, to determine who we want to review our votes.

At the moment I am not sure WHO the DNSO Secreatariat is.  But I've asked this
before without getting any answer.  I'm sending whoever a copy.  Can we have a
reply, please?

BTW I don't know why there should be so many scrutineers.  Do the watch dogs
watch each other too?  Or do they "watch out" for each other?

And I'd be a lot more comfortable voting if I understood why a Watch Dog
committee is necessary.  Why can't it just be done by the Secretariat?
Especially now we have a paid employee.  Or do we?

Or are we doing this because we don't trust the Names Council?  If so, that is
a shocking indictment of their moral integrity.

As I remember, they publish all the votes (anonymously) and they can never
know who will check their own vote.  That should keep the vote honest.

So why should we need such a large group at all?

Best regards
Patrick Corliss