[ga] DNSO/BC's suicide

Dear Fellow GA,
bluntly, out of nowhere we have received today a proposition from Philip
Shepard for a new DNSO/BC Charter. This Charter must be commented before
the end of the month, presented for affirmation [whatever it may means] in
December and become effective immediately [without any requested approval
by the BoD].

What is interesting is that most of the DNSO/BC members are fired.

This results from the Membership criteria. 2 main criteria: to adore ICP-3
and to be a real e-commerce: ie mainly primarily carrying commerce on the
Internet with customers.

<quote>

2 In keeping with the selective membership criteria of other DNSO
constituencies, the Business Constituency represents the interests of a
specific sector of Internet users. The purpose of the Constituency is to
represent the interests of businesses using the Internet for electronic
commerce with customers. To avoid conflicts of interest membership is
typically limited to those entities (or their representatives) whose
primary use of the Internet is to conduct their business as users of
electronic commerce in their dealings with customers or suppliers.

This excludes for-profit entities whose business means they are likely to
formulate views from the perspective of Internet or Domain Name service
providers, as well as from other groups whose interests may not be aligned
with business users.  Such entities may find other constituencies offer
more appropriate means of representing their members' interests.

</quote>

Interestingly enough Marilyn's customers may probably be a Member, but not
her anymore since she extensively documented that her business was to sell
e-commerce solutions not to run tham and that Grant was not at all carrying
anything in the e-business area. As fas I know Bruce James is selling
computers on-line as his primary activity. Welcome on the NC, Bruce!

Telcos are obviously out of the picture, so Philips, CNN, Disney etc...  I
never really understood Philip Shepard's onw business, but I am not sure he
is selling e-donuts all the day long. Obviously gone is Mike Roberts as he
does not really sell ICANN T-Shirts on line from his site. Also Kent
Crispin whose only business is to sell consulting and hosting services to
the ICANN apart from his other professionnal and yachting duties.

I could probably stay through an affiliated e-commerce chain we are setting
up, but I would probably be quickly in contradiction with the European and
US Internet Security laws the way they develop. This ICP-3 mandatiory
adoration permits to fire some others. An to deny access to new.net (except
that New.net carry e-business of non domain names according to ICP-3). Great!

Obviously there not a single word on the budget to carry all that, except
"sound financial management", no budget, no control, no responsible.
e-business is really a new econonomy!

There is not a single word on how the BC is going to pay is debts (roughly
a TAF - TLD application fee).

Now, where will the exiled from the BC go?  They "may find other
constituencies offer more appropriate means of representing their members'
interests". There are 55 Members left in the DNSO/BC. As we can hardly
think that ALCATEL's primary Internet activity is to sell e-burgers, nor
Alsthom, nor AOL, nor the French Railways or Power companies, nor BT,
Deutch Telecom, Telephonica, Clear, MCI, Fujitsu, Unilever, etc... will
their bosses join the NonCom as the ABEM (association of the BC ex-Member)

Only one interesting issue, RealName - these people are not in the same
business as New.net so they are a Member - shall have to go.

Question to the BoD: now that the e-commerce is going to have its own
constituency, what about creating a serious open and honest Professionnal
and Industrial User Constituency for the pros?

Interesting ...