RE: [ga] Mr. Qaddafi Salutes Verisign

On 07:28 18/11/01 -0800, Roeland Meyer said:
>[joseph]
>|> To minimize any mis-communication, I would like to stress
>|> that you are referring to the present, while I am hopeful
>|> for the future.
>
>Such ineffectual day-dreaming is exactly why we are in this mess in the
>first place.

Roeland, you are a bit harsh to a newcomer Domain Name owner who tries to
bring a global (i.e. non_US) point of view across.

The reason many of us are here, myself included, is exactly our hopes and
fears about what future internet regulation (governance) is going to bring
us, exactly *because* we have seen the hijack attempts in the past and the
arrogance of the people involved. Yes, you are right, they are still there
and they are not likely to go away.
Globally, we are standing on a crossroads and the direction Net governance
takes now will determine what forces will dominate it in the foreseeable
future.

Realistically, under current contracts,  Domain Name Holders don't own
their Domains.
Should these contracts be accepted as "Law"?  Is anyone who
pleads/strives  for better Registrant rights an ineffectual daydreamer?

IDNO members like Joseph, who politely present their point of view
should  (sorry,  "need to" ) be treated with courtesy. This Qaddafi thread
is actually informative.

>  Some yokels thought that they were above the law. Then the US
>Congress stepped in and the Green Paper was published. Never mind that it is
>these same yokels that run the ICANN now. They need to be reined some more,
>according to law. They still don't get that they are not above the law and
>that ignorance of the law is not an acceptable excuse.
>
>ICANN needs to confine itself to the boundaries determined by the laws that
>define its jurisdiction and it needs to quit pretending to the throne.

Roeland, you just substituted "should"  with "needs to"   :-)
Ineffectual daydreaming?

--Joop