Re: [ga] Mr. Qaddafi Salutes Verisign

At 3:59 PM +1300 15/11/01, Joop Teernstra wrote:
>At 21:41 14/11/01 -0400, Joanna Lane wrote:
>
>>This kind of input on the list is very welcome. I'm compiling a list of
>>relevant sites to forward to the BoD for attention. More please.
>
>For the BoD's attention?
>(mission creep anyone?)
>
>Isn't this a strictly US law enforcement issue?

Ah, but it'd be a great bit of flag-waving PR for ICANN.

Don't worry about NAF completely ignoring the UDRP rules.

Don't worry about Registrars holding names to ransom in an attempt to
maintain market share.

Don't worry about reversing our mandate and handing Verisign back its
stranglehold.

Nah. Write those problems out of our contracts. Not ICANN's responsibility.

But hey! Yeah! This'll give us some brownie points with Joe Average US Citizen!

We'll be heroes!

Barf.

--
Andrew P. Gardner
barcelona.com stolen, stmoritz.com stays. What's uniform about the UDRP?