Re: [ga] Mr. Qaddafi Salutes Verisign

on 11/14/01 10:59 PM, Joop Teernstra at terastra@terabytz.co.nz wrote:

> At 21:41 14/11/01 -0400, Joanna Lane wrote:
>
>> This kind of input on the list is very welcome. I'm compiling a list of
>> relevant sites to forward to the BoD for attention. More please.
>
> For the BoD's attention?
> (mission creep anyone?)
>
> Isn't this a strictly US law enforcement issue?

No, it's also an ICANN issue, under Paragraph 3.7.2. of the Registrar
Accreditation Agreement: "Registrar shall abide by applicable laws and
governmental regulations". The question is, if it is necessary to comply
with Paragraph 3.7.2 to achieve ICANN Accreditation, then is this also a
requirement to maintain accreditation as well?

When this question was posed at MdR yesterday with respect to US based
Registrars, the response was along the lines that ICANN does indeed expect
it  Registrars to comply, but in their defense "It's not like these guys
register in their own names". Well, as you can see, John has good evidence
that they do....so, I repeat to all, when you come across one of these,
please let us know, on or offlist.

Regards,
Joanna