Re: [ga] No room on the bus

Roeland and all assembly members,

Roeland Meyer wrote:

> Hello Karl,
> Please find a note I have sent to Danny Younger and the DNSO/GA list. It
> seems that ICANN staff do not want to allow the GA to have a sponsor to pick
> up the tab for the MdR festivities. Does this mean that the ICANN staff are
> picking up the tab?

  I think the answer is probably no.  However as you know Eric is still
the GA's designated funding goto guy at the moment.  Perhaps he
can shed some light on this question.  Eric?

> I see no place where exclusive support of the "unified
> root" religion is written into the ICANN charter. I suggest that such
> restrictions are improper and inappropriate. Further, that they violate
> inclusiveness requirements of the DOC/ICANN MoU. One cannot be both
> inclusive and exclusive.

  Agreed.

> If Mr Lynn is acting directly on instruction from the BoD then I would
> appreciate knowing that. If he is not then I request his censure, followed
> by an immediate redress.

  Also agreed.

> Further comments to Danny are interspersed below.
>
> --
> R O E L A N D  M J  M E Y E R
> Managing Director
> Morgan Hill Software Company
> tel: +1 925 373 3954
> cel: +1 925 352 3615

  Yet Mr. Lynn has indicated differently.  Perhaps Ms. Hewitt was
unaware of this?

> I don't see anywhere that support for "authoritative root" is required.
> Neither do I see DOC sanction for authoritative root exclusiveness in the
> ICANN charter.

  Yes.  And as you know this has been pointed our a number of times
before.

> |> I sent a reconsideration request to Stuart Lynn.  Mr. Lynn
> |> responded that "we place bounds around whom we accept as
> |> sponsors. And new.net does not fit the package."
>
> IMHO, this is out of bounds for ICANN staff. Therefore I have fowarded this
> to an ICANN BoD member for consideration (Karl Auerbach).

  Perhaps Karl can get some strait answers.  Perhaps not.  Lets hope he
can.

> BTW, the Rosa Parks analogy is an inappropriate distraction. Analogies
> suffer because they are prone to attack and their defense takes away from
> the true point of discussion. The real points would be references to points
> and authorities stating that the ICANN's decision was in violation of law or
> regulation, as you've done below.
>
> |> Although our Memorandum of Understanding with the US
> |> Department of Commerce states:  "Neither Party, either
> |> in the DNS Project or in any act related to the DNS Project,
> |> shall act unjustifiably or arbitrarily to injure particular
> |> persons or entities or particular categories of persons or
> |> entities," recent ICANN actions, from the issuance of
> |> ICP-3 to this sponsorship denial, make it clear that ICANN
> |> is indeed acting to injure a particular category of entities.
>
> This is indeed the salient point. But, as I stated in the MHSC demand
> letter, it has been going on for some time. The problem is that most of
> those whom have been injured are corporations and corps don't have a vote
> that effects the US Congress. We also suffer from a relative visibility
> issue since there *is* a real life shooting-war in progress. All of these
> issues seem to be dropping out of the DC "issues triage" machine.
>
> |> I thank new.net for demonstrating its commitment to
> |> participation in the ICANN process and for its support of
> |> the General Assembly. It is to our shame that such efforts
> |> at participation are routinely being denied by those
> |> charged with the coordination activities of the Internet.
> |> This is a sad day in our history, and I mourn the death of
> |> the concept of "fairness".
>
> Fairness isn't an issue. ICANN doesn't pretend to play fair. But, we all
> knew this ... didn't we?

  Indeed we have known this for some time now...

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827