RE: [ga] Ballot question

Roeland --

	I agree with you that the NC is ill-serving the domain name
community.  The question is whether the alternative presented by this
motion is adequately developed.  It's not enough to say that there should
be a bicameral structure; if you want anybody outside the GA to take the
motion seriously, you need to describe what that means.  Is the idea that
the GA and NC should have to agree on all three DNSO Board members?  Or
that the NC gets two and the GA gets one?  Or what?  (Is the "Advocate"
just another name for the Board member selected by the GA, and the
"Consensus Leader" another name for the Chair?)

	One consequence of a "bicameral" system, I assume, would that both
the GA and the NC would have to agree on a policy before it could be
deemed to have consensus support.  (This would address the existing skew
in the NC structure -- though the ultimate outcome would likely be to make
formal DNSO action even more irrelevant to the ICANN policy process than
it is now, leaving real policy-making power even more firmly in the hands
of ICANN staff, who would then negotiate privately with the heavy hitters
on the NC.)  Would there be other consequences of establishing a bicameral
system -- that is, besides electing Board members and declaring consensus
-- or is that it?  What sort of budget and staff are being contemplated?
The motion drafters would do well to list the specific, practical aspects
of the structure they have in mind (starting by listing exactly what
powers the NC has today, and how the proposed change would affect the
exercise of those powers); if they can do that, then we don't need to
argue about the "bicameral" label.

Jon

Jonathan Weinberg
weinberg@msen.com