Re[2]: [ga] Re: Task Force appointees, MOTION

Thursday, Thursday, October 18, 2001, 4:35:57 PM, Joop Teernstra wrote:

> It is one of the problems of cyber democracy that we run the risk of
> nominating and electing people that we barely know.

There are certain circumstances that lend themselves to being decided
by direct voting, and others that don't.

We don't have to vote on each and every little thing.  The chair is
there for a reason, we don't rule the GA by majority vote, but by
consensus.  The Chair's job is to appoint those whose will represent
the GA's views in those positions.

If he decides that, time permitting, he will open the process up for
nominations and/or a vote, that is great, but to claim that we must
vote on every single appointment and every single decision, turns us
into the worst kind of bureaucracy, the kind where nothing gets done
because the process becomes to onerous.

The IDNO charter is a perfect example of that kind of a process.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>