Re: [ga] Deletes: Update from a different angle

Ross and all assembly members,

  Thank you Ross for making us aware of this article and again
reminding many stakeholders of this concern/issue that as you
rightly indicate is festering badly.

  As you know, our members have for some time have supported
long before there were other registrars, that the introduction of
additional Registries before Registrars was a better and more
competition enhancing solution to the Verisign/NSI monopoly
in .com, .net, .org gTLD's.  In addition the problem you outline
here would have also been solved from the beginning had
this been done and multiple registries for .Com, .net, .org
been created and allowed.  However in the ICANN BoD's
lack of wisdom, we are now yet again faced with another
messy diaper to clean up that the ICANN BoD and staff
have left.  Now the odor is also spreading rapidly as well.

  Had multiple Registries been implemented, RRP secured,
SRS designed properly or other registry engines been
implemented, the solutions that this article you provided
could have all been used depending on preference.
Instead the poly-wonks have messed in their
political shorts/panties.  And as a result the registrants
have to suffer the stench.

  It has been passed on to me via private correspondence
that this amongst  several other problems that the ICANN
BoD and staff have created is why the public internet
will no longer suffice for government internet communications
as recently announced by Mr. Clark.

Ross Wm. Rader wrote:

> Pursuant to the message that I sent out Tuesday night, the fine folks @
> ICANNWatch requested that I write up a more detailed (and understandable)
> summary of the events thus far. The article can be found at
> http://www.icannwatch.com/article.php?sid=416&mode=flat&order=0 if you are
> so inclined.
>
> Excerpts:
> "Briefly? Verisign Registry is attempting to leverage their failure to
> provide adequate registry services under their contract to ICANN into a
> price increase for dotCOM names. The whole story? Read on..."
>
> "...Sadly, in complete defiance of all recommendations made by the affected
> stakeholders, VGRS has endorsed [11] this last proposal with the following
> language;
>
> "I would be willing to recommend that VGRS consider implementing the [...]
> Parallel Registry [...] as a new optional service to all registrars with a
> separate pricing structure."
>
> The fourth and last proposal on this subject was issued earlier this month
> [12] as a response to the astounding analysis made by VGRS;
>
>   1.. Eliminate the "batch pool" methodology and infrastructure currently in
> place as an "interim" measure.
>   2.. Reinstate the previous "first-come, first-served" re-registration
> processes.
>   3.. Require that all registrars immediately cease "batch-delete"
> processes.
>   4.. Require that all registrars adhere to the 45-day post-expiry
> registered name deletion requirements of the Verisign Registrar/Registry
> agreements.
>   5.. Police denial of service and other abusive practices by registrars as
> required by the Verisign/ICANN registry services agreement.
>
> In its commentary, this new proposal specifically states that "[VGRS] enjoys
> substantial revenues from the operation of the services contemplated by the
> VGRS/ICANN Registry Services Agreement. In return for these revenues,
> Registrars are entitled to demand the services they pay for." In other
> words, if they can't fix their problems at the current price, perhaps it is
> time for a rebid of this contract that has so obviously become a burden to
> VGRS."
>
> Thanks,
> -rwr

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827