Re: [ga] We can't be against it?

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 12:23:46PM -0700, William X Walsh took time to write:

> >> One of the 5 testbed Registrars raised the problem that EU policy prevented
> >> confidential business data to be exported to the US, and proposed a trusted
> >> third party in Europe, at least for data belonging to European Registrars.
>
> > My understanding is that, at least for personal data, European privacy law
> > makes it illegal to export data to a country without adequate (by European
> > legal definition) privacy measures in place. For example, a European branch
> > of a US-based bank cannot legally send such data to a US head office.
>
> > Last I heard, the US had proposed a 'compromise' involving some 'safe harbour'
> > provisions and Europe had rejected it. Is my information out of date?

AFAIK it was accepted.
At least this is what I understand from
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,s2082278,00.html and
http://www.eubusiness.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=30765

(Microsoft PR about it :
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2001/May01/05-15SafeHarbourPR.asp
)

> Sounds like the the EU needs to pass an exemption regarding domain
> registration information, or it may force ICANN not to accredit
> European companies as registrars.

Why so ? What is needed is just to take into account countries' laws.
Otherwise it will be an absurd discrimination.

Many customers are happy to see that their data is protected by EU
laws.

Regards,
Patrick
Gandi.