Re: [ga] We can't be against it?

Rick H Wesson wrote:

>... [ICANN] even created a specification for doing registrar data escrow;
>however the spec was never passed back to the registrars and registrars
>have never been requested to escrow their data, even though some have
>asked to.

In the early days of ICANN, when the testbed for the Registrars was
established, the escrow procedures were discussed (March 1999, in
Washington, DC, if I remember correctly).
For those who remember, the model in effect was the "light Registry - heavy
Registrar", therefore the data were mosly Registrars' data, not Registry's
data.
One of the 5 testbed Registrars raised the problem that EU policy prevented
confidential business data to be exported to the US, and proposed a trusted
third party in Europe, at least for data belonging to European Registrars.
The proposal was vetoed: escrow data had to reside in the US.
Since nobody (neither ICANN nor the Registrars) had any intention to let
this high-visibility operation sink due to this "detail", the question was
"forgotten".
Obviously, if somebody wants ro re-vamp the issue, the problem will still
remain: EU will oppose any attempt to keep escrow data of European companies
(Registries or Registrars) outside Europe, and USG will attempt to force
ICANN to have them in the US, and we will very likely stall again.

> > Meanwhile, back at the ranch, ICANN firmly agrees that most of the name
>space
> > should remain vulnerable to any registrar who decides to go nuts and
>submit a
> > large number of falsified registrar transfer requests...
>
>I don't think this is accurate, registrars have been working hard on the
>transfer issue and just completed their first consensus document. We are
>taking a vote on the document to see if we agree that it should go to the
>NC.

Yep.

Regards
Roberto