DNS Security from the DNSO was:Re: [ga] We can't be against it?

Roberto and all assembly members,

  Escrow of Registrar AND Registry data is a serious issue that needs to
be determined and quickly.  We entirely agree with the EU position with
respect to the privacy concerns and the EU's policy, by in large regarding
how this data can be used.

  But this escrow problem is only one of several problems with DNS
security that needs to be addressed, and we feel it is not as and important
a problem as DNS security itself of which I outlined in an earlier post
on this thread.

  DNS security is a DNSO issue.  the DNSO needs to recommend a policy
statement to the ICANN BoD for their consideration and eventual
implementation.  This is long past due.

Roberto Gaetano wrote:

> Rick H Wesson wrote:
>

> >... [ICANN] even created a specification for doing registrar data escrow;
> >however the spec was never passed back to the registrars and registrars
> >have never been requested to escrow their data, even though some have
> >asked to.
>
> In the early days of ICANN, when the testbed for the Registrars was
> established, the escrow procedures were discussed (March 1999, in
> Washington, DC, if I remember correctly).
> For those who remember, the model in effect was the "light Registry - heavy
> Registrar", therefore the data were mosly Registrars' data, not Registry's
> data.
> One of the 5 testbed Registrars raised the problem that EU policy prevented
> confidential business data to be exported to the US, and proposed a trusted
> third party in Europe, at least for data belonging to European Registrars.
> The proposal was vetoed: escrow data had to reside in the US.
> Since nobody (neither ICANN nor the Registrars) had any intention to let
> this high-visibility operation sink due to this "detail", the question was
> "forgotten".
> Obviously, if somebody wants ro re-vamp the issue, the problem will still
> remain: EU will oppose any attempt to keep escrow data of European companies
> (Registries or Registrars) outside Europe, and USG will attempt to force
> ICANN to have them in the US, and we will very likely stall again.
>

> > > Meanwhile, back at the ranch, ICANN firmly agrees that most of the name
> >space
> > > should remain vulnerable to any registrar who decides to go nuts and
> >submit a
> > > large number of falsified registrar transfer requests...
> >
> >I don't think this is accurate, registrars have been working hard on the
> >transfer issue and just completed their first consensus document. We are
> >taking a vote on the document to see if we agree that it should go to the
> >NC.
> >

> Yep.
>
> Regards
> Roberto

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827