Re: Registration data backup? (RE: [ga] We can't be against it?)

On 14:41 29/09/01, Marc Schneiders said:
>Jefsey
>Are you *sure* there is no decent backup system in place at NSI? I
>have no idea, but would be surprised if not.

Dear Marc,
yes. A backup system is to protect you in the unexpected.

1) we all experienced enough direct knowledge of NSI data to know that even
if the Charlotte center was perfect, the simple continuation of the current
operations under increased strain would not be appropriate. Before the 11th
NSI had just hired people to manually assist to the transfers in a normal
period.

2) even if all the possible situations has been taken into account, we know
from direct knowledge as we both managing small TLDs the cost of TLD
management. We know that $ 6 a piece does not permit much. NSI is to
publish what they do: run a a search on "network solutions verisign backup
protection security".

3) but the most important element is you. The best technical solution is
worth only the way you use it. Security of a service to the public like TLD
management public trust and informed behavior are of the essence. We know
there is no public information nor attempt at winning our trust on the matter.

Also, whatever remaining trust has been killed - I am afraid - by Stuart
Lynn. His emphasis on security at the next meeting is a major security
failure. He shows that he does not trust the way it works now; he shows
that whatever will be done it will be in hurry and in confusion, he shows
that Internet security is left to amateurish decisions, he furthers
destabilize the ICANN and kills or delays some of its best security assets
(TLD dissemination, @large relations, ccTLD organization).

The only hope I have is that all this debate will lead GAC to support
ccTLDs in installing dependable root server systems in every country,
require an ISO 9000 certification of all the Internet public structures
(starting with an ICANN contained into its only mission), sponsor an
international R&D effort for simple, reliable and secure Java based
Internet access solutions and most of all will make sure that the IPv5 is
far more seriously addressed.

This is what Mike Roberts calls my "wild plans" and what I mean when I ask
the ICANN to get real.
Jefsey