Re: [ga] FYI: Alleged links between WTC attacks and domain names

Alexander,
My last comment on this also. I appreciate the posting you made to draw this
to our attention, but of the two names that include 2001, both relate to
worldterrorism in general, not to this specific event, and for all we know,
the registrants bought 2000, 2002 and 2003 at the same time. It doesn't
exactly fit with the Al Queda profile to be advertising events in advance
through a publicly accessible database. Forward options that were taken on
airlines and insurance company stocks implicated in the attack, bought
immediately prior to the attack, and from which a considerable profit could
be predicted, is something to think about, but Osama Bin Laden as a domain
name reseller? It doesn't fly, even if the purpose was not financial gain,
but propaganda.

Regards,
Joanna

on 9/21/01 6:20 PM, Alexander Svensson at alexander@svensson.de wrote:

> [...]
> the debate about Whois.
>
> Back to other business!
> /// Alexander
>

>> Check your facts Jeff Johnson. This is a good example of irresponsible
>> reporting that only serves to waste valuable FBI resources. At the time of
>> writing:-
>
>> "august11horror.com" - available
>> "august11terror.com" - available
>> "horrorinamerica.com" - registry database inaccessible
>> "horrorinnewyork.com" - available
>> "nycterroriststrike.com" - available
>> "pearlharborinmanhattan.com" - registered 9/20
>> "terrorattack2001.com" - available
>> "towerofhorror.com" - available
>> "tradetowerstrike.com" - available
>> "worldtradecenter929.com" - available
>> "worldtradetowerattack.com" - registry database inaccessible
>> "worldtradetowerstrike.com" - registered 9/21
>> "wterroristattack2001.com" - available.
>
>> Many names were registered 9/11, as could be expected, including
>> nycterroristattack.com and wtradecenter911.com
>
>> Regards,
>> Joanna
>

>> on 9/21/01 7:49 AM, Alexander Svensson at alexander@svensson.de wrote:
>

>>> Investigators Can Access Internet Domain Data
>>> By Jeff Johnson
>>> CNSNews.com Congressional Bureau Chief
>>> September 20, 2001
>>>
>>> The company that maintains the registry of .com, .org, and .net
>>> Internet domain names may have information on the identities of
>>> individuals who registered web addresses that a counter-terrorism
>>> expert believes may have foretold last Tuesday's terrorist attacks
>>> on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.
>>>
>>> CNSNews.com first reported Wednesday that Dr. Neil Livingstone,
>>> CEO of Global Options, LLC, a Washington, D.C.-based counter-
>>> terrorism and investigations company, believed the terrorists
>>> who orchestrated last week's attacks in New York and Washington,
>>> or their co-conspirators, may have registered as many as 17
>>> Internet domain names that could have tipped-off authorities
>>> as early as last summer.
>>>
>>> Patrick Burns, spokesman for VeriSign, acknowledged that his
>>> company does archive some of the data on expired registrations,
>>> though the public does not routinely request such information.
>>>
>>> The VeriSign subsidiary responsible for domain name registrations
>>> is Network Solutions, Inc. He added that the Internet Corporation
>>> for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) does not require Network
>>> Solutions to maintain any records on expired addresses.
>>>
>>> As of late Wednesday, VeriSign would not release either the
>>> identity of the person or people who registered the domain names,
>>> or the identity of the company or companies that handled the
>>> registrations.
>>>
>>> VeriSign is willing to help investigators, according to Burns,
>>> but does not want to fuel speculation about the domain names on
>>> Livingstone's list.
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> The list of domain names provided to Livingstone by an industry

>>> "august11terror.com"
>>> "horrorinamerica.com"
>>> "horrorinnewyork.com"
>>> "nycterroriststrike.com"