Re: [ga] Geographic and Geopolitical Names in .info

Mike and all assembly members,

  Although compromise, as you suggest, is always a better overall
solution
to solving policy problems or issues, in this case, compromise is not
likely
to be expectable or especially implimentable in any meaningful way.  Ergo

the respective registries will have to either take a stand on their
individual
registration policies, and be allowed to do so under ICANN registry
accreditation, or registries outside of ICANN purview shall continue
to gain registrants and other support.

Mike Roberts wrote:

> Alexander - excellent post on a complicated topic.
>
> The tactical situation is traceable back to a continuing ambiguity
> about the extent to which the DNS namespace is a public resource to
> be allocated through governmental processes versus a private resource
> recently opened to investment and commercialization.
>
> Obviously, what we have today is some of both in a fairly confused
> mix and no well defined boundary line between the two.  In addition
> to the confusion generated by varying national law and culture
> differences, there are philosophical differences.  In the US, we have
> long had the assumption that if a resource has not specifically been
> placed or retained under government management, then it's open for
> private exploitation.  In many parts of the world, the tradition is
> that resources are public unless placed in the private sector.
>
> The newly elected black majority government of South Africa firmly
> believes it is entitled to control of the name of its country in the
> DNS namespace and it is currently litigating an existing registration
> in a US court.  If it loses, I have no doubt that it will seek other
> remedies through national law and international treaty. If it wins,
> there will be an immediate effect on DNS registration policies.
>
> There are deeply felt national identity issues here, and the ICANN
> community against developing country governments is an unequal
> contest, especially when the counter-argument, in the view of the
> governments concerned, is an excess of commercial greed in first
> world countries.
>
> So I think the challenge is to see if we cannot find a middle ground
> which is responsive to the desires of these governments and can
> attract their support, or at least their acquiescence, without unduly
> compromising the flexibility and availability of domain names through
> private sector mechanisms.
>
> - Mike

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827