[ga] Restructuring Working Group

The At-Large Study Committee will soon be presenting its final
recommendations to the ICANN Board.  Conclusions will be predicated in part
upon whatever substantive input is received by the Committee prior to their
working deadline (October 26).  As the ALSC was chartered to seek a
"consensus" on the concept, structure and processes relating to an At-Large
membership, it is vital that the General Assembly acts to ensure that a
"consensus" has been achieved.

Although the Names Council has indicated that it will be launching a Task
Force to attend to these matters, the General Assembly will, on this
occasion, act independently of the Council and present its own "unfiltered"
supporting recommendations directly to the ALSC.   We have a stake in this
reorganization that we alone must act to protect -- the concept of the "Open
Forum" (which is not articulated anywhere in the ALSC draft), is at risk; we
must justify the continued existence of an Assembly and fight to have it
preserved in the ICANN structure that will be forthcoming.

Our Assembly has an obligation to support the ICANN mission by lending our
expertise to this project; we must collaborate with the ALSC and with the
existing constituencies to define the best possible structure for the
Internet community's representation and participation in ICANN.  This effort
will require the equivalent of an open Working Group (with a 30-day timeline)
to produce results that may thereafter be ratified by a vote of the full
Assembly.

The emphasis must be placed on "results".  Compromise will be necessary if
consensus is to be achieved, and this will require forging an acceptable path
somewhere between the NAIS report and the ALSC draft.

I have faith in the ability of the General Assembly to rise to meet this
challenge.   We all seek a more responsive, representative and participatory
body.  Having been presented with a "bare-bones" structure by the ALSC, we
will need to assist in adding flesh to the skeleton in a manner which
safeguards our mutual interests and which continues to promote our founding
principles.

Let us concentrate our efforts, focus on our task, set aside our rhetoric and
roll up our sleeves... we have a job to do.