Re: [ga] Status of the Review Task Force

On 21:11 14/09/01, John Berryhill Ph.D. J.D. said:
> > Your remark is like saying CNN are illegal when they show Saddam.
>
>I can be persuaded I'm wrong, but the analogy fails here in that Saddam does
>not pay CNN to put him on.  That would be a much different situation than
>reporting the news.  For example, I doubt Saddam could buy advertising time
>on CNN.

Right, but is CNN only paid by direct advertising? Suppose Saddam gives an
interview to CNN? CNN gets audience and Saddam free advertising. News
services are a complex issue.

>However, a U.S. company is paid for domain name registration services for the
>official website of the Presidency of Iraq.

That is bad business. This should have been carried by a foreign company so
Iraq could have claimed censorship existed in the USA. But the ICANN has
nothing to do in this.

Where the problem is, is that Alani Corp is hosted by InfoCom Corp. in the
USA to operate ".iq". Due to the US legislation the Alani Corp cannot
perform its duties to the Internet Community of Iraq and should be
redelagated by the IANA. Otherwise there is an ICANN law for Australia and
one for Iraq. This is in violation to the ByLaws.

Is such a violation of importance?  You may want to have a look at the
bottom of the welcome page at http://www.infocomcorp.com/ . Obviously an
omen no more. But it shows how the things are on the intertwinet.

Jefsey