RE: [ga] Status of the Review Task Force

Dear Chuck,
I am lost here. How an ICANN policy could conflict with any local law?
ICANN policy only consists in saying everyone "This is the way "I" do the
protocol, the IP block address and the master root registry management".

What you mean is mission creep or dishonnesty conflicting with local laws.
And you want the world trade power to rule the nations? But nations are not
only dollars and TMs.

What we have just lived and unfortunately what we will live in the coming
days, weeks, months and, may be, years will show us that you are right here:

At 13:14 14/09/01, Gomes, Chuck wrote:
>In cases where the ICANN community might propose policies
>contrary to country or territory interests, some work between affected
>parties will need to happen.  Where there may be impact beyond the local
>jurisdiction, I think that it may be necessary to implement a global policy
>instead of a local policy.  Otherwise, the chances of confusion will be
>increased.

Confusion is here.
BTW why the ICANN community would be not the World Internet Community?

>These situations will have to be dealt with on a case by case
>basis because of the variance of local laws, customs and practices, but
>ultimately I do not believe that the global implications should be ignored
>just because a country or region is involved.

And we are living a global implication right now.

>That I think is the nature of
>the Internet.  Any country or territory can establish their own private
>network and set their own policies for it.  When they want to play in the
>global arena, it becomes a different game.

There is no global arena per se: a global area is always someone's globality.
"Global" is not "universal" nor "World", nor "total"...
The change Bush says we are about to face will precisely be for many to
understand that.

What is frustrating is that the Internet as both as an image and as agent
of the social change of the world should permit the ICANNers to be among
the first having understood this and to help peace and development through
an "open inter" image and possibilities, instead of "locked net" for the
sake of the ICANN's account at Jones Days and NSI's share value.

Sorry if I am upset. I target no one ...
But some times too much is too much.
Jefsey