Re: The ccTLD position (was Re: [ga] taking positions on country specific legislation

At 02:03 12/09/01, Peter Dengate-Thrush wrote:
> > I review this older post and ask if it is not exactly on point today as
> > the ccTLDs fight to take away seats from the at large while power brokers
> > brokers promise certain votes to certain interests.
>
>Please, a little accuracy, even if does damage your hyperbole.
>The cctlds are not fighting to take away at large seats.

Noted. So you support that Internet Participants may be represented though
their dedicated "netwide" interests groups thought the SOs, and
individually through the @large. And that this representation is balanced
9/9+1 or the like.

>The cctlds agreed in an historic decision in Montevideo, that there were a
>narrow range of global policy issues affecting ccTLds which the cc's would
>be prepared to have developed through the ICANN consensus policy development
>process.

This seems contradictory to me from observation and experience. There is an
ICANN policy motivated by the legitimate need of the ICANN corporation to
survive and develop in cooperation with the DoC interests. There is an
Internet consensus policy motivated by the Internet Participant common
interest. There are other global interests motivated by different kind of
community interests. Some we know: the GAC interests of the States, the
WIPO, the GIP, etc...

>That meant they agreed to be bound, within their ccTLDs, to implement the
>outcome of those decisions.
>
>(See the Montevideo communique, posted to this list.)
>
>An obvious political consequence of that is for the CCTlds to ensure that
>they have an appropriately balanced voice in the ICANN structure, which can
>be heard while that policy is being developed. No one surely expects them to
>accede to policies being made, which will bind them, in a forum they have
>no, or insufficient voice in.

Total agreement.

>There is no  credible doubt that the proper forum for the discussion of
>those cc issues is a ccSO.

Total agreement if you want them to be discussed under the ICANN and as
pure ccTLDs instead of NICs what may lead @large to develop their own
substitution to NICs. We need a structured animation of the LICs. ALso many
extended services start developing and call for infrastructure support and
commercial alliances.

>There is no disagreement with our statement that the DNSO is the forum for
>development of generic domain name issues. (Please note this is not the
>place for a performance comment on how well the DNSO might be fulfilling
>this role).

Here is the problem. The DNSO is not meant to be the forum for the
development of the generic domain name issues. It is meant to be the
organization developing the ICANN name space management policy.

Be sure that should the ccTLD stop attending the DNSO this GA and @large
will soon propose an alternative to the ccTLDs they may dialog with. As DPF
documented it your nz ccTLD spends 10% of its revenues to protect itself
against the ICANN in attending the ICANN - while he thinks - and I agree -
they do not need the ICANN.

If you use the ICANN only as an Hotel for your meetings, there are cheaper
ones.

Whatever the organization the ccTLDs undertake, they must first join all
those who want to break the inept rigidness of the XIXth century ICANN
structure and hierarchical flow chart. Constituencies must be able to
attend any SO the deem necessary. ccTLDs must participate to ASO, PSO, DNSO
while forming their own ccSO (hopefully NICSO). The Registrants
Constituency underway wants to dialog with *every* TLD Manager - gTLD
constituency, ccSO and TLDA.

>There is no disagreement that the DNSO is quite the wrong place for cc
>issues such as the ICANN contract, cc Funding etc to be debated.

Absolutely true.

>The fact is that an SO provides for board representation. We do not say this
>should come at the "expense" of any other group's entitlement, whether
>vested or otherwise, in Board seats.

This is not gospel. Another way would be that SO endorse candidates to be
selected by the Constituencies as a college.

Even if this is true, this only mean that SOs have to reorganize their 9 seats.

>The fact that there is a formidable challenge to the At Large Movement
>having 9 seats is not of the ccTLDs making.

There is no formidable challenge. There is a progressive retreat of the
anti-stability mongers. For a long they obtained that 0 of the 9 @large be
elected. They accepted 5. Now they agree on 6. We will make sure that 9 are
elected. I only do not see the advantage for ccTLDs to abandon what makes
their strength and interest for ICANN casuistic's love (would you be a
lawyer :-) ).

I mean that today the best ccTLDs allies are the @large. That your
legitimacy can only come from the IANA or from your LIC and the LIC's spine
are the @large. That your activity and services development is to the LIC
and again in priority to its moving edge, i.e. the @large.  And your best
protection is the local @large support while the only real thread on you is
the opposition of the local @large people.

>In the absence of creating new seats, we accept that our ccSO proposal will
>require a re-allocation of existing seats. There are a large number of
>factors which will go into the Board's re-evaluation of the balance of
>representation in ICANN.

Anything which unbalance the Internet Participant representation between
them as groups and them as individuals will lead to instability. The BoD is
not a parliament. It is a Board. What is demanded  internally is
competence, honesty and control on the Staff and externally it is to show
enough diverse origin for different interests to trust their collective
decisions.

This trust will never be granted to an unbalanced BoD. You may like it or
not, but this is he way the  man is built.

>Once there is acceptance of the ccSO in principle, we expect to take part
>with other stakeholders in discussions about that balance. That's a debate
>we look forward to. In the meantime, lets stick to the facts.

If you mean by stakeholders the other constituencies and their interests in
the different SOs, I support that. If you mean to fall into Joe Sims' trap
... to over and over complicating the obvious to permit ICANN to address
the problem it created through binding contracts to its advantage (but it
has not the practical capacity to enforce, I disagree.

A question: what has achieved the ICANN?

- IANA - may be something in the Channel Islands, not Pitcairn yet,
accepted .ca, followed the .us travel, a coup on .au with a new policy to
justify not yet published. Uncertainty about .eu and .ps. The change in the
name of two countries - hardly their real doing (Congo and Russia).

- ASO - where is IPv6 and a general education and consensus?

- PSO - show me an interesting project. Not even a ccTLD management system.
ENUM to NSI?

- DNSO - oh! yes a big result: Plan B. Billions given to Verisign and to
the ccTLD competition. Tow TLD on the root - including a collider - two
brilliant TLD sunrises

- Registrars: a "separate" business activity with half its members going
down or being saved in being aggregated to the leading Registry.

- Root Servers. Nothing special by their own (they have not even yet hired
the Technical Manager to be a contact with people in charge). Still half
the Root Servers on the East Coast as the most important threads on the
world's economy as shown in the last hours..... Oh! yes they published the
St. Lynn Good Boot on single authoritative root of failures.

I would really want to know what real they  did more?

So why not to agree all together about what we want the ICANN to be and
force it to be it for its and our good?

We would all save a lot of time, money and efforts and we would help the
economy restarting. Recession was a thread, the WTC Tragedy is going to be
a bad thing. An Internet development may have a key role in a a positive
reaction.

IMHO the quickest way to make it is an objective and fruitfull alliance
between @large and ccTLDs.
Jefsey