Re: Re[2]: [ga] FW: Urgent: questions for ICANN Board Candidates

[...]
> >The fact is
> >that the ccTLDs, ICANN, and the governments are embroiled in a
> >tremendously complex dance, and ICANN isn't going to do anything drastic
> >without substantial support from the GAC.
>
> Yep but not just from GAC as a body but if it is sure of support from
> the major governments individually.

Agreed.

> >But if ICANN has support from
> >the GAC -- that is, if the interested governments come up with a uniform
> >position, then the ccTLDs will have no choice but to comply.
>
> But GAC is showing no signs of trying to force ccTLDs to sign
> contracts forcing them to fund ICANN with unlimited money and next to
> no representation.

Since no such contracts have ever even been contemplated, that isn't
surprising, is it?

[...]
> Some ccTLDs have oversight from their local internet community.  If
> people don't like what is happening they sack people at the AGM -
> which is exactly what happened in NZ last year.  Much better oversight
> than ICANN could do.

But ICANN really is not concerned with local oversight issues.

> >This is why the ccTLDs want disproportionate
> >representation on the board -- they fear the collectivity of their own
> >governments, and they think that they need control through the ICANN
> >board.
>
> One could argue that representing 242 out of the 257 TLDs even six
> Board Members would be under-represented.  I don't actually support
> this and think three would be sensible.

But they represent only a fraction of total domain name registrations...
and the number of non-cc TLDs will grow.

> I don't think the ccTLDs was control of the ICANN Board - they just
> want a decent level of representation.

If we go by number of registrations, if the ccTLDs got 3 seats,
Verisign should get 9.

[...]
> You assume GAC could come to a uniform policy.  Have you seen how long
> treaties take to negotiate sometimes?

I think it is quite possible that the GAC could come up with policies
much quicker than that.  While the process is indeed painful, they
already have produced effective policies -- for example, in the gTLD
approval process they have effectively asserted control over SLDs that
duplicate ISO3166 names.

[...]

> >Then why do ccTLDs so desparately want direct positions on the board? If
> >things were as you describe, then there would be no need for that.
>
> Because many ccTLDs are not selfish and want ICANN to succeed and
> would rather be part of ICANN than fighting it.  They want to specify
> and limit the authority of ICANN but they do want it to succeed.

Sorry, I'm a little too cynical to take that straight, I'm afraid :-).
Indeed, I have the very highest respect and warm feeling for several
ccTLD managers I know personally.  But "specify and limit the authority
of ICANN" somehow seems just a wee bit selfish, to me, no matter how you
try to sugar coat it.  And of course, if they controlled ICANN, they
would want it to succeed...

[...]

> >The reason that ccTLDs want
> >positions on the board is because they don't want to be under the
> >control of their governments.  They want to control ICANN so they can
> >use ICANN as a lever against their own governments.
>
> Most ccTLDs recognise that if their Governments want a redelegation
> the Government will win out eventually.  They would like there to be
> some sort of due process so it can not be done at whim.

Yes, of course: that is, they would like to control ICANN so that can
use ICANN as a lever against their own governments.  That is, you are
just putting a different spin on exactly what I said.

By the way, could you point out to me any indication from ICANN that
ICANN is in favor of redelegation at whim?  Every case of redelegation
that I have observed has been conducted with incredible care.

> >> Don't think that ICANN would have a shit show in hell of surviving a
> >> war with the ccTLDs as long as the major ccTLDs had their Govt onside.
> >
> >...as long as, indeed.  That is precisely the issue.
>
> I have never argued otherwise.  But if ICANN tried to do what William
> proposed then most Govts would back their ccTLD.

Sure sure.  The real question is whether the ccTLDs position really
merits another SO and unique representation on the board.  It certainly
isn't clear to me at this point that it is warranted.

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be