Re[2]: [ga] Urgent: questions for ICANN Board Candidates

Saturday, Saturday, September 08, 2001, 2:05:33 PM, L Gallegos wrote:

> William, are you assuming that if the ccTLD were re-delegated in
> all countries, that the registry would turn over the database?  They
> are not all under contract and have obligation to do so.  The new
> delegation would have to recreate the database and provide new
> TLd servers.  I would say that it would not be a simple transition in
> many cases.

I think it would.  I think that if the ccTLD didn't have the support
of their government, that they would not have much choice but to do
so.

You will recall that I supported mandatory data escrow as a part of
all registry contracts, and that the registries specifically agree
that if they are unable or unwilling to continue operating the
registry, that they agree to sign over any and all intellectual
property related to the registry, including all databases, to ICANN
for reassignment to a new registry operator.

In my opinion, no registry should ever cease to exist.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>