Re: [ga] FW: Urgent: questions for ICANN Board Candidates

On Sat, 08 Sep 2001 01:57:30 +0000, "Roberto Gaetano"
<ga_list@hotmail.com> wrote:

>William,
>

>>The more arrogance I see from the ccTLD community as this debate goes
>>on, the more I think that ICANN should simply present the ccTLDs with
>>contracts, and give them 90 days to work out reasonable negotiations,
>>and then they must sign and comply with the contracts, or face a
>>freeze of their TLD, transfer to a custodial operator, such as APNIC
>>or RIPE, and eventual redelegation.
>
>That attitude from ICANN would show that they are really against arrogance.

Actually to some degree the above is what ICANN tried at first.  They
tried unilateral contracts and bills for services.  The ccTLDs said
naff off and ICANN realised that in a fight between ICANN and several
dozen ccTLDs backed by their sovereign governments ICANN would not
even come a close second but would lose so badly it would probably
never be given policy control of Root Server A.

DPF
--
david@farrar.com
ICQ 29964527