Re: Re[2]: [ga] Status of the Review Task Force

Dear Elisabeth,
You right recalling us that the internet is exactly that: an inter-nets.
This helps a lot to understand why the ICANN is only one of the legitimate
Internet governance centers and why it trying to be unique is a threat on
the stability of the most distributed inter-connect system ever.
Development, investments and governance has always been balanced. Actually
long before the dates you quote.

You may recall that the international public data services (in France the
NTI: noeud de transit international) operated since 1978 linking the
International Gateways in New York and the public US networks, the European
Space Agency in Frascatti, the private Tymehare network, GE, IBM, etc...
The Netherlands and Belgium implemented the first public non-US
international interconnect.

Several international interconnects started developping (France got an
interconnect with Spain) while we were providing public interconnects with
Euronet (and Diane) and Arpanet. We covered most of Europe and then the Far
East and some Latin-America - Agentina, Brazil and Australia, South Africa.

The international data-network naming scheme was stabilized since 1978
(registry, host, application, unlimited size, ISO 3166). The fist
interconect I personally investigated but not concluded was with Louis
Pousin and his team from INRIA (ie. the AFNIC place) in may/june 1978. His
network was Cyclades and many in here know what TCP/IP owes to Cyclades
more than me.

We then interconnected the near-by Bull site (Louveciennes) for their
development of the ADDA language by Ichbia on the Multics machines on
ARAPnet, the gateway was in Phoenix. We lead the transfer from TII protocol
to X.75 and X.121 adressing scheme and the support of the DNICs (numeric
country codes). That was after the ARPA team from BBN incorporated as
Telenet and made X.25/75 voted by the CCITT (ITU/T) together with with
INRIA and NorthernTelecom.

The interconnect public services/ARPAnet asked a very simple naming
conversion mechanism. It was  implemented as a patch on the public node (on
ARPA/Telenet it was probably very simple through IP
adresses?).  International public naming scheme used the ISO 3166 Radio
list. The two letters list was used by ARPA - if I was told correctly - to
avoid confusion with gTLDs and because of the old use of "UK". Is someone
in here from the early 1980s US ARPA side? At that time there were already
tens of thousand of international public users undr that naming scheme.

The first international UN public discussion and motion analysis on the
international data-network services using the international data-network
naming scheme was at the IBI meeting in Torremolinos (in 1979 if my memory
is true) under the chainig of the ... King of Spain! The first
South-African Universities association to interconnect the US and European
Database services and university machines was in 1979. There were several
very active University persons in various African countries too. They had a
meeting back in the early 1980s.

One may also recall that we established the fist international connexion as
per the international standard with Japan (KDD in X.75) then with UK (BT).
I am not sure, but I hardly see how the interconnect could have been
performed without using at least in parallel the international naming
scheme format since X.121 was still under discussion. We stabilized the
X.75 parameters for public operations and addressing under the chairing of
Radio Austria in Vienna - they interfaced the Eastern Bloc through Hungaria
and Russian Univesities since 1982-1983 if I am right. Congo tested a
puiblic link for Elisabethville in 1984. All that was work, investment,
commitment by hundreds of people round the world.

IRT the web itself may be WXW can access http://www.w3.org/Consortium/ and
see how it was engineered by Tim Berners-Lee at the CERN in Geneva. May be
Elsiabeth you cann add what comes from the INRIA there?

No one will forget the huge contributions from Doug Engelbart on ARPA and
then at Tymshare/Tymnet. At the Tymnet/Eurolab we interfaced his Augment
system through public services in Feb 1986 and accessed the French Minitel
service from public US accesses since 1984 with gateways in several cities.

I can testify the first time I heard the word *delegation* was in IANA
documents. I had hard time to understand what it meant in an
interconnect... As you say, Elisabeth, to interconnect you need to be two
and equal.  Such a wording seems to be part of the "single authoritative
point of failure" misunderstanding with an unique US root of the world. I
am afraid this is not the way it was implemented and the way it works...
ask the Irish citizens in charge of the traffic analysis in 1984/1987. And
the Hong-Kong British Subject who was installing most of the international
interconnects. But true the whole system was co-administered by a nice US
person in San Jose and another one (now an Uninet manager) in Paris.

Dear WXW, International networks are just that: network of international
systems, investments and people.

BTW, Peter, V.I. were interconnected long before the Internet name was ever
coined. International e-commerce probably started there and in Bermuda in
1983. With credit card payment authorisations and airline reservation on
public accesses. Ask Jack McDonnell and Bob McCormick.

Jefsey