From: owner-ga@dnso.org [mailto:owner-ga@dnso.org] On Behalf Of William
S. Lovell
Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2001 9:08 AM
To: jandl@jandl.com
Cc: ga@dnso.org
Subject: Re: [ga] Status of the Review Task Force

L Gallegos wrote:

> It is interesting, indeed, that the gTLDs want autonomy and wish to be

> compared to the ccTLDs when they are different animals.  .US is the
> ccTLD and it, too, should have autonomy as the other ccTLDs should.
> As a ccTLD, .US is almost worthless as it stands right now.  It is
> being handled badly, IMO, and will be tired up in bureaucratic red
> tape for who knows how long. Whether it will become useful for the US
> public remains to be seen.
>
> Leah

It is quite useful. When wearing my attorney hat, I often have to search
out data on legal, administrative, organizational, etc., matters in
various states, and so far as I have seen, every U. S. state has web
sites under the .us ccTLD and, at least in Oregon, a lot of business
that used to have to be carried out with hard copies and snail mail can
now be done on line.  There's also a lot of Federal stuff, although many
agencies, such as the Patent Office, have their own .gov sites.  Credit
should be given to the .us domain operators, and to those making good
use of that ccTLD.

Bill Lovell

The URLs for Best Practices:
DNSO Citation:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/gaindex.html
(Under "Other Information Documents"; "August 2001:
Proposal for Best Practices for the DNSO GA." This
page also includes much else about the DNSO.)
Part I: http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BestPractices.html
Part II: http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BP-flowchart.pdf
(Access to the .pdf file requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader, available
for free down load at
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.)
Part III: http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BP-PartIII.html